The moated site at North Rigton survives well and significant archaeological remains will be preserved within the platform and the accumulated silts of the ditches. The site offers important scope for the study of the economic and domestic arrangements of medieval moated sites and their role in the wider landscape.
The monument includes a moated site visible as a rectangular platform and surrounding ditch. It lies on a gentle slope to the north east of the village of North Rigton. The moat ditch is steep sided and varies in depth from about 2.5m on the north side to 1.75m on the south side and is up to 15m wide. It encloses a central, level platform measuring 40m north east-south west by 28m north west-south east.
There are traces of earthworks on the north east part of the platform and a slight outer bank on the south east side of the moat. There is no sign of a causeway for access to the platform and the location of any bridge is also unknown.
The monument is thought to be site of a manor house owned in the 13th century by the de Lethley family. From 1244 until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 the manor was held by Fountains Abbey. The wall extending along the south west edge of the moat is totally excluded from the scheduling.