The Square & Compass
There has been a pub in North Rigton for over 200 years and until the 1940s, it was called The Blacksmiths Arms. The original building was a thatched roofed inn and in 1896 it was partly rebuilt and modernised.
In 1942, Henry 6th Earl of Harewood became a Freemasons. It is thought that the pub's name was changed to celebrate this local Lord's appointment.
It was extensively extended in the sixties and has underdone further major changes over the past 20 years.
Malvern Inns has run The Square & Compass since September 2012 with a complete refurbishment of the restaurant, bar and outside terrace.
Once again it has a resident General Manager and regularly hosts and supports village events and the local school, helping to raise funds for local charities and village projects.
The pub offers monthly pub quizzes, cask ale and delicious meals and a venue for events celebrations and small weddings.