Almscliffe Villages Community Association
Foundation and History
The Association was formed in December 2009 and a constitution was agreed.
A management committee operates to raise funds, receive grants, and offer funds to agreed projects.
The Association was formed for the benefit of the villages of North Rigton, Weeton, Huby, Castley and Stainburn. It aims to promote activities for all age groups within the villages and to promote social, cultural and heritage activities within the villages.
The management committee is elected annually following an AGM in November. It is open to residents from within the villages who are aged 18 or over who are able to suggest and work towards worthwhile projects to support.
The Association has received Charity status from HM Revenue & Customs enabling it to reclaim tax through the Gift Aid scheme.
Registered Charity Number: XT22262
The Association has:
- Raised in excess of £40,000 to enable the installation of a peal of six bells in the Church of St John the Evangelist, North Rigton and enabled the training of teams of bell ringers, from various villages, and established a maintenance fund for continued support for the bells.
- Gifted a sum of money to St Johns Church towards the upgrading of the electricity supply.
- Purchased a set of hand bells and established a hand bell ringing group.
- Established a “village library” in the Square & Compass which continues to raise funds.
- Bought and installed a Christmas Tree and lights in North Rigton’s Village Garden.
- Contributed towards the cost of a portable sound system for the village school.
- Donated £750 to St Michael’s Hospice.
Vino & Fromage evening
Pop-up-Store at The Square & Compass